Contact Us 402.509.7033
Search Contact Us 402.509.7033
Nebraska Legal Group attorneys meeting

How is Child Support Determined in Nebraska?

If you are going through a divorce and have children, then child support will be one of the most important topics that you discuss with your lawyer. How child support is determined in Nebraska can be complicated, so it is important to have a divorce and family lawyer who thoroughly understands family law and has handled these types of cases so they can help guide you through the process.

In the state of Nebraska both parents have an equal duty to the child, both financially and otherwise according to Neb. Sup. Ct. Rule § 4-201. The custodial parent almost always receives the child support payment, with the expectation that they will use it for the benefit of the minor child. While every state is different, Nebraska generally requires child support payments to be paid until the child reaches the age of 19, dies, marries, or is emancipated.

Child support in Nebraska is generally calculated using a formula that takes into account the income of both parents, the number of children, the cost of providing health insurance for the minor children, and in joint custody situations, the amount of time each child spends with each parent. You can also use this worksheet provided by The State of Nebraska Judicial Branch. Child support guidelines are designed to ensure that children have access to the same standard of living they would have if their parents were still together.

What if I Can No Longer Afford the Same Amount of Child Support?

The court recognizes that as time goes on and our lives change, modifications to child custody or child support orders may be necessary. If there have been significant changes to your income or perhaps you lost your job, these may be legitimate reasons for needing to modify your child support arrangement. On the flip side, you may be receiving child support and your co-parent may have received a significant salary increase; this is another reason for requesting a child support modification. In order to make changes to your child support order, you will need to file a modification of child support document. A qualified family law attorney will be able to help you file the request and work towards achieving the best outcome possible for your child support case.

Whether you are the child support payor or the payee, it is extremely important to have a knowledgeable and experienced divorce and family lawyer representing you. They can help guide you through the process and ensure you are paying/receiving the correct amount of child support.

Contact the experienced divorce attorneys at Nebraska Legal Group by submitting a free case evaluation or calling us at 402.509.7033 in Omaha or 531.248.5050 in Lincoln.

Free Case Evaluation

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Contact Us


Omaha Office

Two Old Mill, 10855 West Dodge Rd
Suite 240
Omaha, NE 68154

Lincoln Office

6940 O Street
Suite 314
Lincoln, NE 68510

Tell Us Your Story

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.